Friday, October 9, 2009

Let's Make Love Before We Say Farewell

My dad and I have this thing that we pull when we visit each other, we steal one another's CDs. I often joke with him that he should bequeath his CDs to me. On my recent trip to the motherland, I got this fantastic collection of oldies French songs. And the other day as I was driving to work, I turned my player and this song came on, sending me way back in the days when I was between 10 and 12 years old. As the words was distilling in the air, I paid attention to their meaning and it cracked me up. Here's an example by Jeanne Manson, who surprisingly is American but has spent so many years in France that she had come to espouse the French way of "coloring" love, the title is (literally translated):

Let's make love before we say farewell

Let's make love before we say farewell
[before we say farewell]
Let's make love since it's over between us
[since it's over between us]
Let's make love as if it was the first time
One more time you and I since love is leaving
[x2]
I can forgive you for everything and pretend to forget
I would like to close my eyes and do everything you want
I can share you and even plead with you but don't leave
I'll make myself so small that you won't see me
I'll be so tender that tomorrow you'll love me
I'll be all love and all to you but don't leave
[chorus] x2

2 comments:

Prince Hamilton said...

You mean let's have sex before we say farewell. If love was sex then Hollywood would be in a different predicament, but if love were shoes then Hollywood would charter all sizes. That is why happenstance has never brought joy; rather it has brought untold sorrow and regrets of “had I known”. Sex should bind and bond and not separate. Why should a woman even have the sex at all with a man she thinks she does not have a future with?

Tresor De Beaute said...

I get your point bro. But more often than not, women always think that by having sex with a man, they may have a future together.

Tweet Me